Monday, June 17, 2013

$30 dollars for a year's worth of laundry soap!

  After going to my first essential oils class, my friend started to tell me about all the cleaning supplies she makes by herself.  One of the main ones that stood out to me was her homemade laundry detergent.  She told me that it only cost her $30 to make it and it last a whole year!  Holy Moly! Well, I immediately went out and bought the supplies.  It smells so fresh and clean plus it was a lot of fun to make.




$30 homemade laundry detergent
-3 bars Fels Naptha, grated
-1 box Borax

-1 box Washing Soda 
-2 cups of baking soda
-1 containers of Oxyclean 
-1-2 containers of Purex fabric softener crystals (optional)

-1 tub to put all the ingredients in.

Put 2 TBSP in the dry detergent section of a front load machine or directly in with the load for a top loader machine.  It is safe for HE machines.

1.  First use a cheese grater and grate the 3 bars of soap.
2.  Dump the grated soap, borax, washing soda, baking soda, oxyclean, and purex crystals into your container and stir until well mixed.  

 I was able to find all the supplies in the laundry aisle at our local grocery store.  Keep the oxyclean scoop for your detergent use.  The scoop holds one load worth of detergent.  You can also save your purex crystal or oxyclean container as mini detergent storage containers if your laundry room is limited in size.


     My first few loads I did with this detergent seemed to make my laundry wrinkly and crisp.  Although I did add the purex crystals it didn't seem to be making my clothes soft. I had seen that someone made a similar detergent but made her own softener.  I decided to make an additional softener to add to each wash cycle and it work incredibly.  I highly recommend using this if you make the detergent recipe above.



Homemade laundry softener
-1 glass quart bottle of white vinegar
-25 drops of doTerra lavender oil
-1 tsp rubbing alcohol

Shake and add 1/2 a cup to your softener receptacle.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's blog because I will be teaching you how to make cheap and healthy dryer balls out of things you probably having laying around your house!

To purchase doTerra oils, click here!

4 comments:

  1. Do you know if this is septic safe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would use it with a septic system from the little research I have done. Here is an article I read with and alternative recipe:

      http://barefootmommy.blogspot.com/2011/05/septic-friendly-homemade-laundry.html

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah...I did research and saw a few testimonies that claimed the vinegar softener helps break down the soap and balance the enzymes, making this safe for septic. I modified the recipe of detergent to one bar Fels-naptha (grated then ground to powder) and use two bottles of Purex crystals. I have been using this for six months now in my front load washer. I feel like my clothes finally have the sparkle they got from a top load washer. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete